Murray Princess Cruise - 7 Days
20th October - 26th October, 2019
Welcome to our seven day tour, featuring the famous ‘Murray Princess Cruise’. The four night cruise takes us north on the great Murray River from the historic riverport of Mannum to Blanchetown.
Experience the magic and majesty of the spectacular scenery, from towering cliffs to expansive wetlands. Along the way, we’ll see a great variety of Australian wildlife, including kangaroos and many of the 350 bird species that inhabit the riverlands. Highlights include a visit to a vineyard and wine-tasting at the cellar door, visit a typical Australian farm and woolshed, enjoy an Aussie barbecue beside the river, visit a wildlife shelter and an Aboriginal reserve, which is one of Australia’s most significant archaeological sites.
We visit the Grampians National Park and enjoy a night in Stawell before the cruise and travel via Robe and Beachport to Mount Gambier for our last night away.
Price per person twin share $3,695
Repeat clientele twin share $3,645
Single supplement room $640
Deposit $200 per person upon booking
O’Shannessy’s Quality Tours will match single travellers who wish to twin share with another single traveller of the same gender.
However, if this is not possible, you shall be provided with single accommodation at the twin share fare (no additional cost).
All prices are from Melbourne. Please contact our office for a price from your capital city.
- Complimentary chauffeur driven transfers. Pick up from and return to your home from Greater Melbourne, Bendigo, Torquay, Ballarat, Geelong, the Bellarine and Mornington Peninsulas, selected areas of Gippsland and Phillip Island.
- Travel by O’Shannessy’s Luxury Touring Coach. Features of the coach include comfortable reclining seats with good leg room, arm rests and foot rests, seat belts, rest room, large panoramic windows with blinds, overhead parcel shelf, Road Cam TV Screens which display in real time the view ahead, a kneeling device and second door for ease of entry and disembarkation and full air suspension for a smooth and quiet ride.
- 4 nights private ensuite accommodation aboard the Murray Princess. Each cabin has twin beds (no bunks), adjustable air-conditioning, electric blankets, soaps, shampoo and towels; serviced daily. We reserve outside cabins which open onto the outside deck and have windows.
- Quality motel accommodation for 2 nights.
- 2 course dinners with choices of each course, served in motel / Murray Princess restaurants.
- Cooked and continental breakfasts each morning. Morning teas most days. Most lunches provided. (1 lunch at own expense as per itinerary)
- All entry fees and tours as per itinerary.
Gariwerd (Grampians) National Park, Mannum, Blanchetown, Guided Tour of Burk Salter, Boutique Winery, Swan Reach, Woolshed Show, Native Wildlife Shelter, Aussie Barbecue, Ngaut Ngaut Aboriginal Reserve, Younghusband, Kingston S.E, Robe, Beachport, Mount Gambier and Hamilton.
MULTIPLE NIGHT STAYS
4 Nights onboard the Murray Princess.
With pick up from home and transfer to O’Shannessy’s luxury coach, we begin a wonderful tour. Today we travel the Western Highway via Beaufort and Ararat to Halls Gap in the Grampians. A feature of today is a drive through the Gariwerd (Grampians) National Park. At the Boroka Lookout we gain extensive views across the Wimmera Plains. We continue on to Stawell where we have dinner at the hotel.
OVERNIGHT: Magdala Motor Lodge, STAWELL
SOUTH AUSTRALIA - MANNUM - MURRAY PRINCESS
This morning we travel through Dimboola and Nhill to South Australia. We arrive in Mannum with time to explore this historic town before boarding the Murray Princess. Mannum became a major port in the years of river trade, transporting wheat from the eastern Mount Lofty Ranges upstream to New South Wales and Victoria. We board the 67 metre (200 ft) luxury paddle wheeler for four nights of relaxation. We enjoy the Captain’s informative commentary, excellent meals and timeless scenery. Tonight, we also enjoy a welcome dinner and cruise upriver under floodlight to Caurnamont. You may see nocturnal wildlife on the riverbank. Watch for grey kangaroos, hairy-nosed wombats, Murray longnecked tortoises, spoon-beaked echidnas and many other species.
Lunch at own arrangements and expense
OVERNIGHT: Murray Princess
CRUISE IN MURRAY PRINCESS - BLANCHETOWN
Daybreak and time for the keen photographers to be out to capture the special light and the morning movement of wildlife. Prolific birdlife includes pelicans, blue wrens and black swans. We enjoy a leisurely morning and lunch cruising upriver to Blanchetown, through one of 13 locks which maintain the flow and levels of water. This afternoon we moor opposite to the township of Blanchetown for our overnight anchorage. As the last rays of the sun fade, we join a guided tour of Burk Salter Boutique Winery and surrounding vineyard and enjoy a wine tasting at the cellar door which is fitted out with beautiful red gum bars. After dinner, you may wish to join in the fun and excitement of the “Murray River Cup”!
OVERNIGHT: Murray Princess
CRUISE ON MURRAY PRINCESS
After breakfast we cruise downriver to picturesque Swan Reach. The town which was first settled in the 1850s, was originally the largest of five sheep and cattle stations in the area and is now home to native flower and fruit growers. The original Swan Reach homestead, is now the Swan Reach Hotel where you can enjoy an ale or cappuccino overlooking the Murray River (own cost). Join the guided walking tour and visit the Swan Reach Museum (gold coin donation). We cruise downriver after lunch and take in the tranquillity as the landscape slides by. When we arrive at Sunnydale, it’s all ashore for the Woolshed Show as we recreate typical Australian woolshed history. Later we visit the Native Wildlife Shelter where some of South Australia’s most interesting native animals are cared for. Then of course, there is the great Aussie Barbecue – cooked and served in a bush setting on the banks of the mighty Murray River. An optional Nocturnal tour (additional cost) in a comfortable purpose built cart is available after dinner where you may see kangaroos, wombats, foxes, bats and owls.
OVERNIGHT: Murray Princess
MURRAY PRINCESS - CAPTAIN'S FAREWELL DINNER
After an optional early morning bush walk with the Captain, we cruise slowly downriver past magnificent cliffs scoured by the river over millions of years. We reach Ngaut Ngaut Aboriginal Reserve, one of Australia’s most significant archaeological sites, for a step back in time – tens of thousands of years – for a guided boardwalk tour to view ancient rock carvings and to learn about Aboriginal history in the area. We return to the vessel to cruise downriver to Younghusband. For those wanting more, you can also take a scenic tender boat ride. Tonight the Captain and his officers host a spectacular Farewell Captain’s Buffet Dinner. Dress up and dance, if you wish…
OVERNIGHT: Murray Princess
THE COORONG - MOUNT GAMBIER
We leave Younghusband and head back to Mannum. After breakfast we reluctantly say farewell as we arrive at the Mannum Wharf where we board our coach. Our travels today take us along the Coorong and into South Eastern South Australia. We visit Kingston S.E. and the holiday villages of Robe and Beachport. We take a look around Mount Gambier before retiring to our accommodation with time to relax before dinner.
OVERNIGHT: The Barn Accommodation and Steakhouse, MOUNT GAMBIER
MOUNT GAMBIER - WESTERN DISTRICT - HOME
This morning we travel the very picturesque area of Victoria’s Western District via Casterton and Coleraine to Hamilton. Hamilton is set among the rolling hills which produce some of the finest merino wool in the world. The town has therefore adopted the slogan “wool capital of the world”. Heading for home we pass through Mortlake and cross to the Princes Highway with lunch at Camperdown. Camperdown sits on the great volcanic plain of Victoria’s Western District and is surrounded by crater lakes and volcanic cones. As we cross the “great volcanic plain” we travel alongside miles of fascinating dry-stone walls which are a feature of the countryside and known as the stony rises. The walls were built in the 1860’s by highly skilled “wallers” from Ireland and Scotland. We also pass by many crater lakes, some more salty than the sea. We arrive at Geelong mid-afternoon and continue on to Melbourne and the Mornington Peninsula to complete a wonderful time away. As always our chauffeurs will transfer us safely home with fond memories of the tour.
- Any special passenger requirements must be notified to O’Shannessy’s Quality Tours upon booking.
- No passenger will be permitted to embark on or continue the tour while their physical or mental condition is, in the opinion of any representative of O’Shannessy’s Quality Tours, such as to render them incapable of caring for themselves, or whereby they become objectionable to other passengers, or they become a hazard to themselves or other passengers. Whilst on tour with O’Shannessy’s Quality Tours should a passenger require medical attention, discharge papers must be provided to a representative of O’Shannessy’s Quality Tours before you are able to re-join the tour.
- O’Shannessy’s Quality Tours will not be responsible for expenses resulting in such persons being precluded from completing the tour for any such reason. No refunds or transfers will be given on any unused portions of the itinerary.
- It is a requirement of O’Shannessy’s Quality Tours that each passenger is able to negotiate coach steps without the aid of the coach crew or other passengers.
- Any passenger who requires assistance for any of the above is required to travel with a companion capable of providing all necessary assistance.
- Passengers who are smokers, have a CPAP machine or snore, unless travelling with a companion, will be required to pay the single supplement premium for the sole use of a room.
- Items of a personal nature such as medical expenses, mini bar, beverages, laundry service, room service, internet usage, telephone calls, and any optional extras are not included in your tour price.
- All passengers are required to co-operate with the seat rotation program determined by O’Shannessy’s Quality Tours tour directors.
- O’Shannessy’s Quality Tours reserves the right to vary any accommodation, price or other features of the tour at any time at their own discretion.
Receipt of payment of funds will be taken as acceptance of O’Shannessy’s Quality Tours conditions of travel for this tour. Prices include GST and all taxes.
Balance due on invoice approx 60 days prior to departure.
Deposit is fully refundable until 61 days prior to departure date.
Cancellation 60 to 46 days before tour departure date
80% Refund of Tour Cost.
Cancellation 45 to 31 days before tour departure date
60% Refund of Tour Cost.
Cancellation 30 to 15 days before tour departure date
50% Refund of Tour Cost.
Cancellation 14 to 7 days before tour departure date
25% Refund of Tour Cost.
Cancellation 7 to 1 days before tour departure date No Refund.
Travel Insurance is not compulsory, however is highly recommended and available from our office.
Contact us on 1800 354 352 to arrange a quote for you.